Infants Ingest Nearly 80 Times Safe Level of Dioxin

The Environmental Protection Agency has held public hearings today to review a proposed safe exposure limit for dioxin, a known carcinogen and endocrine disruptor.

Dioxin is nearly impossible to avoid, as women exposed to it pass it on to fetuses in the womb, and both breast milk and formula have been shown to contain it. Research done has shown that a nursing infant ingests an amount 77 times higher than what the EPA has proposed as safe exposure.  Adults are exposed to 1,200 times more dioxin than the EPA suggests is safe.

According to Inhabitots:

“Because dioxin is such a common pollutant -- it’s a waste product of incineration, smelting, chlorine bleaching and pesticides manufacturing -- its health effects are well documented ... [S]tudies have shown that ongoing low-level exposure can result in heart disease, diabetes, cancer, endometriosis, early menopause and reduced testosterone and thyroid hormones.”

+ Sources and References
Post your comment
Click Here and be the first to comment on this article